[Bglug] Secure erase of an SSD different from HD

Remi Gauvin remi at georgianit.com
Thu Dec 31 00:27:48 EST 2015

On 15-12-31 12:08 AM, William Park wrote:

> Speed-wise, though, "hdparm" method is about the same as "dd" method.

I can't speak for every SSD out there, but for all the models I've used,
that's not remotely true... a secure erase is almost instant, (about 5
seconds, usually,). dd still has to write out the 0's, and will burn a
write cycle off the life of your device while it's at it.

Not the same case for HDD's however, an HDD still has to physically
write 0's to the entire disk surface.