[Bglug] World’s first 8K TV broadcasts begin for Rio 2016 Olympics

Logan Streondj streondj at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 10:19:41 EDT 2016

On 08/13/16 18:09, LP wrote:
> 8K Seriously ? At 4K you can see through Actors Make up.
>
> "The world's first broadcast using 8K TV technology has begun on
> Japan's public channel NHK. With a resolution of 7680×4320, "Super
> Hi-Vision" as the company calls it—don't worry, the name won't
> catch on—has about four times the detail of a 4K broadcast, or 16
> times what you're probably watching at home (normal HD,
> 1920×1080).
>
> The 8K broadcast will be tested over the next five days, and from
> August 6 it will be used to broadcast parts of the Rio 2016 Olympic
> Games, which are being filmed in 8K by special NHK cameras."
>
> http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/worlds-first-8k-tv-broadcasts-b
egin-for-rio-olympics/

>  LP

Yea, I think like Concord there are limits.
People don't need to see at such high resolution,
or fly faster than the speed of sound.

720p is the most my computers/monitors can handle, and it's definitely
enough. Buying 8k or even 4k equipment can be rather expensive.

I think rather than going for 8k, things will go towards VR and AR.
For instance BBC is experimenting with doing 360 video for Rio
http://www.threesixtydegreevideo.com/bbc-use-360-video-2016-rio-olympics
/

the VR experience makes it more immersive,
and only need a smartphone and some cardboard.
https://vr.google.com/cardboard/

- --
Logan Streondj,
A dream of Gaia's future.
blog: http://joyfullifestyle.ca
twitter: https://twitter.com/streondj

Speakable Programming for Every Language:
github: https://github.com/elspru/spel
intro: http://wyn.bot.nu/spel/src/vocab/gen/start.html

You can use encrypted email with me,
how to: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/
key fingerprint:
BD7E 6E2A E625 6D47 F7ED 30EC 86D8 FC7C FAD7 2729