[Bglug] soldering course

ted leslie ted.leslie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 12:32:21 EDT 2016

As you approach this as a "hobby" i would also be way more inclined to look
at wire-wrapping. You can approach wire wrapping by seat of your pants,
knowing you can "edit" easy later. You can design on the fly.
If i took 10 people and introduced them as electronics as a hobby via WW
and solder/pcb, i would expect 9/10 WW to be happy and stick with it, and
1/10 stick with it in solder. You have already expressed your frustrations
with solder, so that is already a strong hint.
As for expensive solder rigs, i would guess a 500$ one from 90's can be
found used for <100$ now, and the safety and benefit would out-way the
extra cost 10 fold, but it also may be hard to get them, don't know demand
supply.
I don't know of any project (assuming self design) that solder/pcb would be
easier then WW. You can create WW project in mere hours from start to end,
some in 10's of minutes if basic.
Now having said all this, you put your project in a case, and want to
attach a power supply, etc, at some point it probably doesn't hurt to
solder, but personally I see no use of it.
In university, i was fortunate that i first used a WW placement system, all
i had to do was press a button when I confirmed the wrapper was on the
post, much else was done auto. When I did it manually , i still found it
easy,
but maybe that is just me. You will have a lot of fun with WW, I just can't
say the same about solder. Some even do "big" projects on those bread
boards, (press wire, no wrap or solder) and I know they make bread board
break outs for the pie and stuff.
Maybe you can start via bread -> wire -> pcb (send away) -> pcb self etch,
so where how you progress. Worst thing would be to get frustrated and not
do it (to some degree).

-tl