[Bglug] April Meeting Tuesday April 4th 7pm at JOE TOMATO'S

Andrew Howlett andrew at howlett.net
Mon Apr 3 10:46:02 EDT 2017

hi everyone,

tomorrow's meeting will be at Joe Tomato's at 7pm in the backroom.

https://goo.gl/maps/VZ4uoRPfDiE2

bring some beer/pop/desert money. i will buy appetizers.

So there was minimal interest in the Turing and Beer idea but i'll do it anyway. My presentation will focus on Alan Turing's definitions of the m-machine and universal machine. Turing's definitions led to Von Neumann promoting the IAS computer. IBM copied and improved the IAS computer and the result is what we have on our desks and in our pockets (ridiculously simplified timeline!). If you have a laptop bring it on tuesday night. At the bottom of this message are some links that will be useful during the presentation.

Of course, the real highlight of our meetings are the tech talk, free software exchange and open source ideas. See you on tuesday at Joe's.

andrew h.

https://www.cs.virginia.edu/~robins/Turing_Paper_1936.pdf

https://turingmachinesimulator.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAS_machine