[Bglug] The Shrinking Linux firewall

Remi Gauvin remi at georgianit.com
Tue Apr 2 08:21:27 EDT 2019

On 2019-04-01 2:30 p.m., ted leslie wrote:
> It is interesting with hydro rates how maybe the Dell could run 350$ / year
> (24/7), and the pi would probably be 50$ / year.
> This dilemma has crossed my mind a number of times.

Certainly, if the only thing the system is doing is running a firewall,
a Pi, or equivalent would be better, both economically and ecologically,
(unless you would otherwise throw away the pc and buy a new ARM, then
it's all more complicated.)

But your numbers are *way* off.  Assuming an average of $0.11 / KWH, and
100W for a PC, the computer 24/4 would cost < $100 / year.  Most semi
modern computers will be drawing much less power than 100W, even less
than 50W, so on the *high* conservative estimate, PC 24/4 costs $50/yr.

The pi, or other more efficient device, should cost closer to $5