[Bglug] Debian package recommendations?

Remi Gauvin remi at georgianit.com
Mon Dec 9 22:29:55 EST 2019

On 2019-12-09 4:31 p.m., TheTechRobo! wrote:
> I am helping someone install Debian and learn to use Linux. Right now I'm downloading the ISO via torrent.
>
> What are some good, easy-to-use software packages available for Debian that you could recommend?
>
> No rush
>
> Thanks!

Smplayer, without question, an essential video player.  It uses mpv (or
mplayer) in the back-end so handles just about any media file without
issue, and it automatically remembers what position you are at when you
exit, so it can resume where you left off.  Perfect for  movies and
audio books.

If the user is a reader with E-books, calibre is a must,, but skip the
debian package, download and install from the author website,
https://calibre-ebook.com/download

Install is copy/paste 1 line in command terminal.

Thunderbird for e-mail/calendar.  It might not be the absolute best
software, but the data/profiles can be seamlessly moved between systems
of any architecture.

I like either Banshee or Rythmbox for Music player.  (I might choose
something native for KDE, but it's been a long time since I really
investigated KDE desktop,,, that might be changing soon.!)

Comix if they want comics/manga reader.