[Bglug] Fwd: computer, come and get it ....

ted leslie ted.leslie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 15:54:50 EDT 2015

link to pics:
http://cloud4me.com:8080/
they are huge, didn't gimp them :(

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: ted leslie <ted.leslie at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 3:47 PM
Subject: computer, come and get it ....
To: Bruce-Grey Linux Users Group <group at bglug.ca>

[ i put this to group a few minutes ago, but the
mail list doesn't like attachments, so i removed them,
if your interested, i can send pics directly to personal
email accounts]

This was taken out of commission about 8 years ago,
it is a intel mobo, water cooled system,
1.2 ghz speed (i think), 0.75 GB ram (i think),
In a rack mounted 4U tank of a case.
It ran for about 6 years, and work perfect, as it was
set up with water cooling to be a place it and leave it
for a decade type linux router.
The mobo was a intel at the time that had amazing stability stats.
What had happened is the coolant gradually leaked out
(as I found out later), and the alarm wasn't ever heard as
it was in a data centre with noisy fans and not much visitation.
So the system was rebooting on a thermo issue.
(the coolant leaked out very gradually, i guess vapour, so its doesn't seem
to be case it leaked on stuff)
I don't know if the mobo took a permanent hit, i don't think so.
It has redundant power supplies, but they are 10+ year old style,
so they will not have the power connectors to work with any
recent i3/5/7 type boards. Ram is ddr 2 vintage i think.
It was state of the art about 13 years ago, except intel cpu
was picked to be rock solid as opposed to over clocked or performance.

I am in thornbury, email me if you want it for FREE.

The tubes still have some antifreeze in them, and I am guessing
some of the gunky part of antifreeze is stuck in the fin blocks,
so I am not sure how that will recover, or if one want to remove
water cooling and put back on free-air fins on CPU.
It may be a nice hobby play-with for someone never having used
water cooling before, or it could be the water cooling is now
toast, and it may just be a 1.2ghz video server for some one,
or with the rack case that weights a tonne, it would probably
keep a large row boat at dock on the bay here in rough conditions.

Oh, and it (probably) doesn't use car antifreeze, they sell
special computer system stuff i had to buy, but before any
$$ is spent on it, it would run for some period of time just on water.
I guess the antifreeze is just for the corrosion side of things.

-tl