[Bglug] Documentation and User (non)Interfaces

Peter pjr at bmts.com
Sun May 17 22:42:57 EDT 2015

If you ever get involved in writing (what an archaic term) a program
that requires conversation with the user (aka user input), or in writing
documentation or sending error message when "the user" does something
"wrong",  please keep in mind the points made by the person writing this
rant:
http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/cups-horror.html
Really stupid error messages like "An error has occurred" or asking for
some input which the average user can not possibly supply will result in
people seeking other solutions, even ones of the M$ variety.
Peter Richards
PS: It is darkly humourous as I have recently gone through not only this
process but also am trying to rescue a Windows 8.1 laptop form similarly
sourced errors. The quote  "When true horror of installing Windows 7
became apparent ..." doesn't come close to that of trying to work
Windows 8.1!

--
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. -  Albert Einstein