[Bglug] Debian new user unfriendly

Logan Streondj streondj at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 16:50:41 EDT 2016

On 16-08-04 02:32 PM, Stars wrote:
> Hi Ted, No, not paid apps, just an Easy to use "Software Center"
> GUI for new users so they know what they are installing. I am not a
> big fan of Ubuntu anymore.
Why is that?

Personally I like ubuntu, though I don't use unity/gnome, rather I use
awesome as my window manger.

> I really like Debian and I like that it Pushes Free software and is
> DRM Free.

Well Triquel is a fully FSF approved version of Ubuntu.
gNewSense is the one that is based on Debian.
https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

You can of course simply take out the multiverse and restricted words
in the /etc/apt/sources.list  and get pretty much the same thing.

> It is very stable and Secure BUT Secure seems to remove easy to
> use. I have just installed it on the U.W. Stars Machine to test
> again. Regards, Chris.
>
> Supplying Technology to At Risk Students

"Trisquel, a GNU/Linux distribution based on Ubuntu that's oriented
toward small enterprises, domestic users and educational centers."

> www.bglug.ca ________________________________________ From: Group
> [group-bounces at bglug.ca] On Behalf Of ted leslie
> [ted.leslie at gmail.com] Sent: August-04-16 1:23 PM To: Bruce-Grey
> Linux Users Group Cc: group at bglug.ca Subject: Re: [Bglug] Debian
> new user unfriendly
>
> you referring to paid apps? Why not just use debian Via mint 18 via
> Ubuntu 16.04?
>
> .tl
>
> On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Stars
> <stars at unitedwaybg.com<mailto:stars at unitedwaybg.com>> wrote:
>

> HI all, I am searching for a way to install software center on
> Debian 8.5 so new users have an easy way to install apps. Until
> Debian has a Safe Reliable Software center store, new users will
> never migrate to Debian.
>
> https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/all/software-center/download
>
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/150927/is-there-a-software-cen
ter-like-in-ubuntu-in-debian

>  Regards, Chris.
>
> Supplying Technology to At Risk Students
>
> www.bglug.ca _______________________________________________ Group

- --
Logan Streondj,
A dream of Gaia's future.
blog: http://joyfullifestyle.ca
twitter: https://twitter.com/streondj

Speakable Programming for Every Language:
github: https://github.com/elspru/spel
intro: http://wyn.bot.nu/spel/src/vocab/gen/start.html

You can use encrypted email with me,
how to: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/
key fingerprint:
BD7E 6E2A E625 6D47 F7ED 30EC 86D8 FC7C FAD7 2729