[Bglug] Debian new user unfriendly

Logan Streondj streondj at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 10:30:24 EDT 2016

On 08/07/16 13:08, John Bittorf wrote:
> Hi guys. I am new to the group. I am not strong in Linux and only
> tried a few distros, but i have had very good luck with puppy
> Linux. Very simple and light. Easy to use.

Hi John,

It is good to hear you are trying out Linux.
You are welcome to attend the meeting.

> Main issue is usually adding peripherals such as printers and
> scanners.

In terms of peripherals such as printers and scanners,
it is always best to check they have full support for Linux before
purchasing them.  There are unfortunately a lot of proprietary
products out there which are not compatible due to various obfuscation
practices they employ.

There are a wide range of products however which do have support,
for example printers have their own website:
http://www.openprinting.org/printers

Hope that helps,
Logan

> [...]
>
> I think maybe they are trying too hard and are forgetting
> computers that were not built this year. And this is why I am
> always Hunting for a better Linux Distro for Stars.
>
> Right now I am looking at how many steps are required to install
> Debian Dual boot with my Toughbook since they do not include an
> auto partition tool.
>
> We will never succeed in converting Windows users when there are
> so many hurdles for inexperienced users.
>
> LP
>

> On 4 August 2016 at 23:08, LP <linuxpusher2 at gmail.com
> <mailto:linuxpusher2 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi Logan, Thanks, looking into that link, used it before. Chris.
>

> On 4 August 2016 at 16:50, Logan Streondj <streondj at gmail.com
> <mailto:streondj at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> On 16-08-04 02:32 PM, Stars wrote:
>> Hi Ted, No, not paid apps, just an Easy to use "Software Center"
>> GUI for new users so they know what they are installing. I am not
>> a big fan of Ubuntu anymore.
> Why is that?
>
> Personally I like ubuntu, though I don't use unity/gnome, rather I
> use awesome as my window manger.
>
>> I really like Debian and I like that it Pushes Free software and
>> is DRM Free.
>
> Well Triquel is a fully FSF approved version of Ubuntu. gNewSense
> is the one that is based on Debian.
> https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
> <https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html>
>
> You can of course simply take out the multiverse and restricted
> words in the /etc/apt/sources.list  and get pretty much the same
> thing.
>
>> It is very stable and Secure BUT Secure seems to remove easy to
>> use. I have just installed it on the U.W. Stars Machine to test
>> again. Regards, Chris.
>
>> Supplying Technology to At Risk Students
>
> "Trisquel, a GNU/Linux distribution based on Ubuntu that's
> oriented toward small enterprises, domestic users and educational
> centers."
>

>> www.bglug.ca <http://www.bglug.ca>
> ________________________________________ From: Group
>> [group-bounces at bglug.ca <mailto:group-bounces at bglug.ca>] On
> Behalf Of ted leslie
>> [ted.leslie at gmail.com <mailto:ted.leslie at gmail.com>] Sent:
> August-04-16 1:23 PM To: Bruce-Grey
>> Linux Users Group Cc: group at bglug.ca <mailto:group at bglug.ca>
>> Subject: Re: [Bglug]
> Debian
>> new user unfriendly
>
>> you referring to paid apps? Why not just use debian Via mint 18
>> via Ubuntu 16.04?
>
>> .tl
>
>> On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Stars <stars at unitedwaybg.com
> <mailto:stars at unitedwaybg.com><mailto:stars at unitedwaybg.com
> <mailto:stars at unitedwaybg.com>>> wrote:
>

>> HI all, I am searching for a way to install software center on
>> Debian 8.5 so new users have an easy way to install apps. Until
>> Debian has a Safe Reliable Software center store, new users will

ter-like-in-ubuntu-in-debian
> <http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/150927/is-there-a-software-ce
nter-like-in-ubuntu-in-debian>

>> Regards, Chris.
>
>> Supplying Technology to At Risk Students
>
>> www.bglug.ca <http://www.bglug.ca>

- --
Logan Streondj,
A dream of Gaia's future.
blog: http://joyfullifestyle.ca
twitter: https://twitter.com/streondj

Speakable Programming for Every Language:
github: https://github.com/elspru/spel
intro: http://wyn.bot.nu/spel/src/vocab/gen/start.html

You can use encrypted email with me,
how to: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/
key fingerprint:
BD7E 6E2A E625 6D47 F7ED 30EC 86D8 FC7C FAD7 2729