[Bglug] Recommendations on Paid Email Services

Logan Streondj streondj at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 12:27:59 EST 2021

I recommend Protonmail as that it is only major open source mail
provider that I'm aware of and so that is what I use.
Protonmail is open source at least in terms of the web interface.
Wheras fastmail is not at least to my knowledge.

Also Protonmail has integrated encryption and signing. There is a
downside that it doesn't let you send encrypted messages from
Thunderbird with Enigmail, but you can through the web interface or
through the app.

You will need to get at least the basic plan in order to get the
bridge so you can use thunderbird, at least for archiving your emails.
Depending on the plan you can even have your own domain name and all
that which is nice.

Also if you start with enigmail it is fairly easy to then transfer
over to protonmail by uploading your keys, so you have consistency of
fingerprint.

I've been having a lot of problems with the various open source email
apps like k-9 and the other ones, and Protonmail app works great
though so I just forward all the other emails to my protonmail, and if
I need to respond from a different address I use the thunderbird on my
desktop.