[Bglug] A new definition of Free Trade

Brad Rodriguez brad at bradrodriguez.com
Fri Oct 28 10:58:55 EDT 2016

Oh, I've been hit with this.  Years ago I ordered a $25 book from a
publisher in the U.S.  When it arrived, UPS charged me a $50 "customs
brokerage" fee.

As a result, I always instruct shippers in the U.S. to use either FedEx
(if I'm in a hurry) or U.S. Postal Service (if I'm not).  On eBay, I
*always* ask if the seller will use U.S.P.S. *before* I make a bid or
purchase.  If they'll only ship UPS, I buy somewhere else.

If I recall correctly, Canada Post lets parcels with a value less than
Cdn$40 through with no extra charge.  For parcels worth more than $40,
they charge a $5 fee, plus whatever duty or taxes are owed.  Typically
there will be no duty from the U.S., but you might get charged 13% HST.

The last I checked, FedEx includes brokerage service as part of their
(high!) shipping fee.

Never use UPS from the States.  (Within Canada they're ok.)

- Brad

brad at bradrodriguez.com